WELCOME!!!!!! Read the blue words!!!


Hey all you gorgeous people! So if this is your first time to take a look I would definitely recommend starting from the bottom and working your way up through the posts. There is lots of information and I don't want you to miss out!


If this isn't your first time well then its your lucky day! I have posted TWO posts! One is a video! So whether you are in your car reading on your phone (which is not recommended), taking a trip to your morning "library", or just not in the mood to do work yet, have a read!! And when your done then have an awesome day!!!


Oh! I almost forgot! If you become a follower of the blog I will bring you back a souvenir from my trip!!! If you don't care about an awesome souvenir then enter your email address in to the right. This way you will get notified only when there is a new post! I will not send you any junk mail... unless you consider the words coming out of my mouth to be junk :).


Also don't be a hog! If you are enjoying what you are seeing then tell people! They don't have to know me and they don't have to be WELS to read this blog!!!



Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hey all of you sophisticated good-looking people!
 
The last couple of days have been fairly uneventful. I have been working hard to figure out a way to make the transition from volunteer to volunteer much easier and smoother. For starters I am taking the initiative to create a volunteer handbook for the center. This is going to include everything from how to make things work here at the center to where things like laundry facilities are. It is also going to include a list of community connections that have been made since being here. Prior to coming here I was able to talk with the Jaspersens but after about two volunteers information will get lost. This is one way we can attempt to prevent that from happening.

My peeps down at the temporary restaurant units have become a vital resource for information and I have been talking up the future volunteers so that they will be prepared to be as helpful to them as they were to me. This volunteer handbook is going to be one of the best ways to ensure that previously learned knowledge gets passed down. This is also key because some of the things took well over a month to learn and with some volunteers only being here a month we want to make sure they are as productive and efficient as possible!

Next up I purchased a sweet little calendar to keep track of English classes. This will more so be used for when there is a volunteer switch. At the end of March there will be a week where the center is closed. The plan will be to schedule all of the next volunteer’s English classes for at least that first week so that there are no issues with contacting students and trying to figure out times… This is what I like to call COMMUNICATION!!!!!

I am also developing a couple of different procedures so that we can collect contact information and use it effectively. There was a visitor book that people use to sign but it has been difficult to get people to sign it and sometimes even read it. This new procedure should fix that and by the time all of the volunteers have come and gone, God willing, there will be an extremely long list of people that volunteers have had contact with along with how that person wants to be contacted, if at all, who their first impression was with, and what kind of supplies they received. Doing this will provide the church in Japan a way to make additional contact so that they can build a stronger relationship with that person and God willing share the message of Christ love more extensively with them.


The next thing I am working on is additional clothing apparel with the LECC Logo on them. This was originally something that was done outside of the Aide and Relief committee. God has blessed the decision numerous times to have something like this. For example two days ago I was at the store doing some shopping when a man came up to me. He explained that he was a Christian too… I was utterly confused until he pointed to the LECC Logo on my fleece. He asked if I was a Christian and if I go to church on Sundays. I said yuppers!!!! We struggled through the rest of the conversation (in Japanese). In the end I gave him a flier that I had in my back pocket…that I had used for writing my grocery list on :/. Here is to hoping he calls someone!!! Anywho the fleeces with the logos on them have been a blessing time and time again. This is not something in the budget and so this is going to be a little side project. The Logo is digitized by a company in the Waukesha, WI area. We have about five more volunteers coming that I know of…most of which are women. And the only apparel here are these large men’s fleeces. If you have any ideas of how you can help out and get something here by the time the first female volunteer comes on March 27th I would love to hear your ideas!!! My email is hieb.jah@gmail.com

I have had the opportunity to meet more individuals with Samaritan’s Purse and it sounds like they may be able to help one of my students with fixing the damage to his house! I also just made contact with an NGO here in Kesennuma. I am looking forward to getting to meet them again. At this point it sounds like they might be interested in doing some English class!!! There are six employees up here in Kesennuma. This may prove to be a great resource to learn about how volunteers can reach more people affected by the Tsunami as well as share the gospel. Also I just want to clarify that in no way is the LECC relief center joining with or collaborating with other church organizations. I am however making connections with organizations in the area because it is an opportunity not only to gather useful and needed information but also to be a “bridge to the Gospel” (I heard this was the key phrase in the WELS so I thought I would try to use it ;)


It is Friday tomorrow! And its going to be an awesome day!!

4 comments:

  1. You have some great ideas Jesse! Keep up the good work! With the change in volunteers every month or so, it's really important to have a way for the Japanese to connect them with the center and the LECC. I love the idea of the fleeces. What a bout getting some t-shirts or a band to wear around their arm. Also, do you have meishi to give out. Maybe not with your name but the center's infor and the info of one of the Japanese pastors. They're small enough to always carryy some in your pocket. I can't count the number of people who contacted us years later with someone old meishi. Will keep thinking....

    Jesus be with you!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know some places will send you free Meishi, Maybe Vistaprint. I'll ask Jon, he seems to know about that stuff. I also know that vistaprint has a lot of other good deals out there too. You just have to get the logo so that it can be uploaded onto the website. Let me know if you need help or money with this, I'm sure we could help out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jesse! I also think your ideas of passing the info on to future volunteers is great. They will appreciate all your efforts. You are right - men's fleece for ladies coming in the spring and summer won't work very well! Tshirts and meishi should work. Or an umbrella with the logo?

    You are in our prayers. Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the umbrella idea! Perfect for rainy season in Japan!

      Delete